Heritage Council recognizes Artistic and Historical value of Church Gateskevin
The Heritage Council of Ireland, in its recent deliberations, awarded a grant of €15,000 for the complete refurbishment of front gates at Ascension Parish Church that have very significant artistic and historical value. The gates have been in-situ at Ascension Parish since its construction in 1955. They were originally the gates that adorned the grandiose Carnigie Library, in Anglesea Street, that opened to the public in 1905: and which was destroyed in the infamous burning of the city of Cork in 1920.
The gates, the work of Master craftsman, John Perry, in terms of design, stands out from anything else that was happening at that time, not only in Cork but in the entire country. Therefore, the gates are not only part of Cork’s heritage but are of national importance.
We are grateful to Mr Joe Murphy, whose company fabricated the steel used in the construction of the church in 1955, for bringing to our attention the artistic and historical significance of the gates – and for gently prodding us to preserve them for future generations. We are truly grateful to the Heritage Council of Ireland for awarding us the sum of €15,000 to restore these gates to their original splendour. Their website is found at www.heritagecouncil.ie
This work of restoration will begin shortly.