Church Front Gates gone for Refurbishmentkevin
The Church front gates ‘in situ’ since 1955 have finally gone for refurbishment. These gates donated to Bishop Lucey in 1955 following an appeal for finances and building materials – as he undertook the building of five churches located in the heart of new estates springing up around the city suburbs – were later discovered to be of great artistic and historical value. The gates fabricated by John Parry, one of Ireland’s Master craftsmen in the early 1900s, were specially commissioned for the Carnegie Library built beside the City Hall; and officially opened in 1905. The Carnegie Library was burnt to the ground in 1920 when British Crown Forces set the city alight. These gates are probably the only remnants of Carnegie Library that survived the inferno. The gates have been described at a ‘national treasure’ by noted blacksmiths and one of the few pieces of John Perry’s superb work in Cork city. The refurbishment is being done by Mr Pat Ronan and sponsored by the National Heritage Council.